The Post-Grad Adventure

Hopefully an easier way to keep people updated on my post-graduate adventures!

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Not sure

Guess I really don´t have too much to say right now, but I thought It would be worth sharing a few things I have seen in my time here, some of the things that aren´t all fun and whimsical...

In my time here (as in times before) I have seen houses built of nothing more than mud and sticks, bursting at the seems with naked to barely clothed and shoeless children. Children with bloated bellys and dirty faces. Children that look at you with the biggest and saddest eyes as you stroll by on your leisurly and pleasant walk. It´s truly haunting and enough to make you want to stay and help. Or return and help....I don´t think I will ever be done with this country I have come to love so dearly. It was my first taste of the real world, outside of my own, and I will always be greatful for its help in opening my eyes and my heart.

In my time here, I have seen countless men passed out in various places throughout the cities I have visited... in front of homes, on park benches, on street corners, on the floors of bars and pool halls. The time of day is not important, they lay down to rest their drunken bodies at noon, at 3 pm, at 9pm and at 4 am, for the bars and liquor never truly stops flowing, and in places where some people have little hope and little money, alcohol seems to be their only saving grace. Some of these men are drunk every time you see them, others are friendly and normal enough the next time you see them...before they make it to the bars. While I didn´t share this with you all earlier, I had the less than pleasat experience of being chased home by one of these drunkards the other night. Luckily his intention was not to hurt me but nearly to make a new friend. And hopefully you have all realized that I do have some commen sense and returned safely home after about 20 minutes of trying to shake this guy so that he did not know where I live. (The last thing I wanted was some old man banging on my family´s door at that time of the morning and screaming obscenities). Anyways, I often wonder if hope and money would change the situation. Of course, not for everyone, but I do believe that if there were more productive activities available these communites would suffer less from the barbarisms of alcoholism and addiction.

In my time here I have seen women treated as nothing more than objects and entertainment. Of course, I have experienced this first hand. There is a large population of men that whistle, cat call, kiss, and make other obscenties as a woman passes by, minding her own attention. Fighting for respect is futile as it only escalates the behavior and could quite possibly lead to problems. The town is run by men, women are just the inhabitants. Of course, I can´t make this a blanket statement, as there are many woman that demand respect here and not ALL of the men act in this atrocious manner. But the fact remains that this is a man´s place. Local women (RESPECTABLE women as they would tell you) DO NOT go into the bars, into the pool halls, do not smoke, do not drink, do not swear, do not show their bodys, do not stare at men (some say they should avoid eye contact all together) do not go out late, do not do much of anything outside of the home..... WHILE some of course will say that this is not a bad way to live, as it of course is healthier for the mind and body, its the hyppocrisy of it that is angering, and the right to be able to do such things if one desires that is important.

Well, i could of course go on forever, but who wants to read all of my rants and raves for an eternity. Maybe one day I´ll have more time to process what has happened in these last two months and could tell you more. Of course, if theres anything particular you want to know...ASK!!!!!! Alissa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home