The Post-Grad Adventure

Hopefully an easier way to keep people updated on my post-graduate adventures!

Sunday, October 09, 2005

RAIN

Rain, rain and more rain. Thankfully there is none this far today, but it was pretty bad the past 2 days, so much so that all the water turned brown in the city last night, so not only did i have a COLD shower, but a BROWN one as well. Of course now i don´t have ANY water so......WHAT FUN! Well, it would seem as though I have just made plans to leave the country for a week or so. Of course, I have this guilty feeling looming over my head about leaving the school and my student, but this is a great opportunity and I only have limited time to do it. It looks like I will be going to the magical LAGO ATITLAN, GUATEMALA for at least a week with a really cool chick from Denmark.....HmMMMMMM, just got an email from me MOM reminding me about the unfortunate (that´s the nicest word I can put here) weather they´re having in Central America, outside of copan. I guess I should look into that more before I book myself a one way trip into a mudslide! ANYWAYS, I went to the bar last night ( afew) for the first time in awhile and had a great time. Went with my friend Juán and stopped into the bar Tunkul and met the owner-bartender and I think he really likes me. He said my spanish was really good and couldn´t believe that I hadn´t lived in a spanish country for some time. My only response was ¨Thanks! Wait until I get a few more drinks in me though...and my spanish will be GREAT!!!!¨ He laughed.... So the 3 from MI stopped in at the bar while I was there with my new friends and we all talked a little. Got to know the bartender so well that he started giving me free drinks and water and he put on BLUES for me (BB KING and the Like) since I said I liked it. And then we cleared a few tables and danced a couple merengue songs in the middle of the restaurant while people looked and cheered on. It was a LOT of fun. I also found out that I have NOT been drinking ¨HONDURAN VODKA¨as ´some had been telling me (the vodka that I said tasted VERY VERY STRANGE) turns out its GUADO the national liquor that I´d heard so many horror stories about (only about how god awful and strong it is, which i agree, but i´ts not as bad as it was before). After that we walked to a Local Cantina (yup, i was the only woman around) but we were only there for a few minutes then we went to VIA VIA where I spent my time talking to one of the other Mayatan teachers (Former U of M girl) and the 3 Peace Corps people. Then off to bed. Not much else is new, I am going to a Birthday party today at 4 pm for some of the parties. It should be fun and I´m taking a friend, so I hope they don´t mind! Well, I need to get to the bank eventually . I am BROKE. Got about 20 lempiras left to my name and thats only a little more than 2 dollars.
Talk again soon
Alissa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home