The Post-Grad Adventure

Hopefully an easier way to keep people updated on my post-graduate adventures!

Friday, January 30, 2009

My response to an online application question...

Question: Name one person that has had an impact on your life. Answer: My daughter, Eva Kristina. When I found out I was pregnant in 2006 I was packing for Chile to teach with the WorldTeach program for 10 months. Within a very short time-span I had to come up with a plan on how I was going to, not only be a single mother, but how to support a child. In the past 27 months I have been very successful at raising a beautiful, intelligent, funny and extremely independant little woman. Our journey has taught me patience, unconditional love, gratitude for the smallest things in life, how to laugh at and forgive myself when I make mistakes and how to get out of bed, even when I don't feel like it. Her presence has brought an indescribable amount of joy to my life and each day, each moment, brings a new challenge, a new lesson, and a distinct purpose to my life.

Question: What do I see myself doing in my professional and personal life after qraduation: Answer: After I complete my nursing degree in 2010 I will set to work to establish my basic nursing skills. When the necessary prerequisites have been met I will pursue a Master's Degree in Midwifery. I would like to work with teenage girls and single mother's to prepare them to be successful and happy mother's as well as to help decrease future unintended pregnancies. As opportunities arise I would like to travel outside of the United States on medical missions to help with similar issues as well as with HIV/AIDS treatment and prevention. Further down the road I would like to be involved with an international disaster response team (such as Doctors without Borders, OXFAM, RedCross, United Nations, etc.) to help with global emergencies such as earthquakes, mudslides, etc. In my personal life I will continue to spend time with my daughter and to help her be a productive, intelligent and ethical young woman; full of compassion and a willingness to help others.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home