The Post-Grad Adventure

Hopefully an easier way to keep people updated on my post-graduate adventures!

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Week 3

Geez, it seems like it should be more than week 3! Well, not too much new, but will update and share some thoughts. Last night I went in a bus with the other teachers from Mayatan to a place called El Jaral (about 30 minutes from here) for dinner and games for Teachers Day. It was good, nothing really beats free food and drinks! Especially when you are on a budget¨. After that, just sat in-walked around the park until 12 or 1230 am practicing my spanish. Things went good my first week at the school. Part of my day is spent doing remedial work, such as laminating book covers and bagging new books, but it needs to get done and its easier for me to do it than the director. Not to mention, the other day i helped 3 local girls making packets, but for whatever reason (laziness or lack of a system) they only managed to complete one packet (between the 3 of them mind you) as I finished 8! Thus far, in the other times, i am working one on one with a 5th grader that has been diagnosed (and i use this loosely) with Asperger´s Syndrome, which from my research is a Pervasive Developmental Disorder that is cousing with Autism (his original ¨diagnosis¨). I would agree with much of the research and it is a bit sad that he has not had the help that he could have had. First things first, this boy is the son of one of the wealthiest couples in the area (maybe even the country...although a bit of an exageration). They own one of the LARGEST coffee plantations, the most expensive and largest hotel and cafe in the area, as well as some other things. There is money to help this boy, but the mother is rather stingy with her money. Soooo I do my best to help him with what I can, did some reasearch on Asperger´s (which was exciting to actually put my psych. degree to work) and am spending 3 class periods with his each day I am there. He´s a very loveable kid, and is rather interesting to work with. One of the perks however is the ¨THANK YOU MISS, THANKYOU FOR HELPING ME MISS; SEE YOU TOMORROW MISS¨ that i get each day before he showers me with kisses! (isn´t it funny how some small things can really make you´re entire day worth it!?)
==other than that things are routine. Which on a normal day is waking up between 8 and 9 to the sounds of music, animals (mostly roosters and geckos), kids, conversations and some cars. From here i mosey around the corner to my family´s restaurant for breakfast then am free to walk around and read after until lucnch between 12 and 1 back at the restaurant. Occassionaly i eat alone, watching telenovelas or with someone else. after that i´ll usually head home for an afternoon shower, which shall i tell you is not hot. I have not touched warm or hot water in 3 weeks now. Sometimes its a blessing, but more often than not its a rude jolt to my system (although great for water conservation) After this i can again wander, meet with people, read, walk, travel, watch TV...whatever strikes me. After here i return to the restaurnt for dinner around 6 pm and watch ¨Cuerpo del Deseo¨ a wonderful telenovela. Again, i wander, read, music, tv, whatever....until bed around 10 or 11pm. However, now on days that i´m at the school, i am up around 530 am and am at school until 230pm. All else pretty much returns to normal after.

== Well, not sure what else to say, down to about 10 mntues on the computer. I need to work on planning a trip to Guatemala next weekend. So wish me luck with that. I will more than likely end up in Antigua, although Lago Atitlan is also an option. Other than, i was enjoying a really relaxing a great moment in the Park earlier...SSun was shining, had good music going in my headphones, and was reading a funny book (¨Not so funny when it happened¨) then was rudely interrupted by men (who don´t quite have ALL of their marbles) that would not leave me alone. After some polite and innocent conversation, i left (as he asked me for money, as if charging me for the conversation that i did NOT want) and followed me out of the park. Thankfully two teachers walked by and took me with them to their apartment. When i reattempted the situation a bit later in a different spot (minus the sun DAMN HURRICANES!) 3 young girls sat with me to talk, and later another man. Sooooo NOW i´m here, writing you guys. BUT i´m off to lunch now, hopefully i´ll actually get to do something other than sit around the park tonight.

ALISSA

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home